“Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completeion.” -Jack Welsch
“Make your vision so clear that your fears become irrelevant.” -Kerwin Rae
Here’s a simple exercise to help you uncover and clarify your vision.
Explore your desires
- Ask yourself, “what do I desire most in life?”
- Followup each answer with “..and then what?”. Stretch yourself and continue following the rabbithole
- Make a list as you go along
- Highlight the favs
- You’ll know when you’ve found your primary desire – remember no desire can be too big or unrealistic. This is about honesty, not reality.
Explore your why
- Why do you do what you do?
- What is truly important to you in life?
- What are you core values?
- What is something that has stuck with you since you were a child?
- These all hint at your why.
Explore your brand vision
- What do you want the future to look like?
- What is your work ultimately working toward?
- What is the entelechy of your brand?
- Make a list of possibilties as you go along
- Highlight the top 3
- Then circle the one that is most resonant
Articulate and clarify
- Create a simple and concise statement for each of the following
- What you want (your desire)
- Why you want it (your why)
- What it looks like (your vision)
- Just one sentence per point.
- Synthesize these three sentences into a single sentence.
- Now you have a powerful vision statement ⚡️
It will take some soul searching, but it will be well worth the effort.